Degree in Metalurgical and Materials Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, 1991
Scientific and Pedagogical Aptitude Examination (MSc), Instituto Superior Técnico, 1995
PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, 2002
Habilitation in Materials Science and Engineering, 2012
Telephone: 21 8419169, Ext: 3169, Room: 8.6 (8th floor, South Tower)
I am researcher of CQE - Centro de Quimica Estrutural (CQE) and, currently, the coordinator of the
NanoLab - The Nanostructured Materials and Nanotechnologies Laboratory of IST.
My areas of scientific interest are centered on the advanced characterization of engineering materials and systems for tribological and biomedical applications, by using Atomic Force Microscopy based techniques.
Current research projects
- NanoCimento – Contrato Industrial IST/CIMPOR 2012-2016, Adist-AD0031
- NanoParma - Nanoparticle manipulation with atomic force microscopy techniques. ESF EUROCORES FANAS Proposal: 07-FANAS-FP-009
Selected Publications and Patents
- Dendritic belite based hydraulic binders and methods for their manufacturing; Authors: R. Bayão Horta, Rodrigo L. Santos, J. Pereira, P. Rocha, S. Lebreiro, J. N. Canongia Lopes, R. Colaço. IST DDR 130319, January 2015. PCT/PT2015/000005
- Amorphous low-calcium content silicate hydraulic binders and methods for their manufacturing; Authors: R. Bayão Horta, Rodrigo L. Santos, J. Pereira, P. Rocha, S. Lebreiro, J. N. Canongia Lopes, R. Colaço. IST DDR 130319, January 2015. PCT/PT2015/000006
- R. Colaço and P.A. Carvalho, Atomic Force Microscopy in Bioengineering Applications, in Scanning Probe Microscopy in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 3, NanoScience and Technology, pp 397-430, B. Bhushan (ed.), DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-25414-7 15, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2012.
- A.P. Serro, R. Colaço and B. Saramago, Effect of albumin adsorption on biotribological properties of artificial joints, in Proteins at Interfaces III – State of the Art, Chapter 23, pp 497-527, Thomas Horbett, John L. Brash, Willem Norde Editors, DOI: 10.1021/bk-2012-1120 ACS Symposium Series, American Chemical Society, 2012.
- A.P. Serro, A. Carapeto, G. Paiva, J. P. S. Farinha, R. Colaço, B. Saramago, Formation of an intact liposome layer adsorbed on oxidized gold confirmed by three complementary techniques: QCM-D, AFM and Confocal fluorescence microscopy, Surface and Interface Analysis 44 (2012) 426–433.
- S. Graça, P. A. Carvalho, R. Colaço, Dislocation structures in nanoindented ductile metals – a TEM direct observation, J. of Physics D: Applied Physics 44 (2011) 335402.
- A.P. Carapeto, A.P. Serro, B.M.F. Nunes, M.C.L. Martins, S. Todorovic, M. T. Duarte, V. André, R. Colaço, B. Saramago, Characterization of two DLC coatings for joint prosthesis: the role of albumin on the tribological behavior, Surface and Coatings Technology, 204 (2010) 3451–3458.
- A. P. Serro, K. Degiampietro, R. Colaço, B. Saramago, Adsorption of albumin and sodium hyaluronate on UHMWPE: a QCM-D and AFM study, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 78 (2010) 1–7.
- S. Graça, R. Vilar, R.Colaço, The role of indentation size effect on the abrasive wear behaviour of ductile metallic alloys: a nanotribological study, Wear, 268 (2010) 931–938.
- R. Colaço, An AFM study of single-contact abrasive wear: the Rabinowicz wear equation revisited, Wear 267 (11), 1772-1776, 2009.
- R. Colaço, A.P. Serro, B. Saramago, On the stability of nanobubbles trapped at a solid-liquid interface: a thermodynamical approach, Surface Science, 603 (18), 2870-2873, 2009.
- D. Nunes, R. Colaço, J. Th. M. de Hosson, A. P. Gonçalves, L.C.J. Pereira, P.A. Carvalho, Magnetic microstructure of YFe11Ti aggregates, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 487, 11-17, 2009.
- A.P. Serro, C. Completo, R. Colaço, F. dos Santos, C. Lobato da Silva, J.M.S. Cabral, H. Araújo, E. Pires, B. Saramago, A comparative study of titanium nitrides, TiN, TiNbN and TiCN, as coatings for biomedical applications, Surface and Coatings Technology, 203 (24) 3701-3707, 2009.
- R. Colaço, A. P. Serro, O. L. Eryilmaz and A. Erdemir, Micro-to-nano triboactivity of hydrogenated DLC films, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42, 085307, 2009.
- T. Polcar, M. Evaristo, R. Colaço, C. Silviu Sandu, A. Cavaleiro, Nanoscale triboactivity: The response of Mo-Se-C coatings to sliding, Acta Materialia, 56, 5101-5111, 2008.
- K. Degiampietro, R. Colaço, Nanoabrasive wear induced by an AFM diamond tip on stainless steel, Wear, 263, 1060-1065, 2007.
- F. Audebert, R. Colaço, R. Vilar and H. Sirkin, Laser cladding of aluminium-base quasicrystalline alloys, Scripta Materialia, Vol. 40 (5), pp. 551-557, 1999.
- S. Duhalde, R. Colaço, F. Audebert, A. Perrone and A. Zocco, Deposition of NbC thin films by pulsed laser ablation, Applied Physics A, Vol. 69 , pp. S569-S571, 1999.
- M. A. Fortes, R. Colaço and M. F. Vaz, The contact mechanics of cellular solids, Wear, Vol. 230, pp. 1-10, 1999.